Monday, January 25, 2010

Blackberry-Ginger Glazed Salmon

Hello again! I hope everyone had a great weekend, I was preparing myself for another surgery tomorrow. I think I'm ready..as ready as you can be, I suppose.
Enough about that, let's talk salmon. I was watching one of my favorite cooking shows, "Cooking for Real with Sunny Anderson." That girl has got it goin' on! Her recipes remind me a lot of growing up with my grandmother. I was raised on the southern food. Normally these recipes can be a little on the non-healthy side. However, this recipe should be great for everyone.
My husband and I invited our good friends, Mark and Maria, over for dinner on Thursday. My husband decided to make this recipe for them and they absolutely loved it! We had made it once before, but he forgot to ask the butcher to remove the salmon skin. So it was slightly disastrous, but we made it work. If for any reason your butcher is not available to cut off the skin, I will be putting a link below to show you how to easily do it yourself. We also found that the glaze was pretty thin. I don't believe that my husband let it reduce long enough, so make sure that you let it reduce by half as the recipe calls for. He wouldn't fess up to that error, but I am pretty sure that's what happened. :-) (I still love you, my darling) I would actually wait to preheat the oven until the glaze is almost cool. No need to waste good gas or electricity. So, here we go!

Ingredients
1 cup water
12 oz. blackberries
1 inch piece of ginger root, peeled and sliced into coins
The juice of 1/2 of a lemon
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp. olive oil
4- (8 oz.) SKINLESS salmon fillets
Salt and Pepper to sprinkle on both sides of fillets
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water, blackberries, ginger, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until berries break down, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl, using the back of a spoon to push blackberry pulp through. Return blackberry mixture to the sauce pot, add sugar and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until REDUCED BY HALF (there it is folks, very important). This process takes approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Remove from heat (after it is reduced by half) and cool completely.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Brush a baking sheet with olive oil and set fillets on top. Brush fillets with oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Once blackberry mixture is cool, brush over salmon fillets and bake for 4 minutes. Brush again with blackberry mixture. Turn oven to broil and broil another 3 minutes.
There it is, a great salmon recipe! I will tell you, if you don't get the glaze thick enough, you end up with dyed salmon with not a lot of flavor. So, do the right thing...follow the recipe! :-)
Thank you Sunny Anderson! And thank you Food Network for bringing us Sunny! Enjoy everyone. Get your Food Network Kitchens cookbook here...
Thank you to my wonderful husband for doing all the cooking, and for being such a great sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, please keep them relevant to this blog.

FeedBurner FeedCount